fbpx
logob
Feb09

Is Hidden Mold at Home Making You Sick?

Molds are extremely toxic substances. They are a serious concern for your health. Everyone is potentially at risk of mold exposure, regardless of your gender, age, socioeconomic status or geographic region. Children and infants, in particular, are more susceptible to mold exposure. 

All molds

Is Hidden Mold at Home Making You Sick?

have the potential to cause ill health. In fact, it can cause respiratory infections, gastrointestinal problems, skin rashes and a multitude of other problems. The vast majority of people who are suffering from respiratory problems are not even aware that the problem was due to mold exposure. Even worse, doctors do not often see the correlation, making the treatment difficult. 

Homes often provide many opportunities for mold spores to grow. Aside from the basement, kitchen and bathroom, there can be many hidden sources of mold in your home. This is especially true if you have leaks on your roof or plumbing problems. In this case, mold may start to grow under the carpet, behind the walls and other areas. But what’s interesting is that mold spores may even be hiding in surprising places such as your pillows or Christmas tree. One study revealed that mold spores are released into a room 14 days after a Christmas tree has been put up.  

Are you feeling sick but can’t exactly pinpoint the cause? 

Mold exposure can cause short-term symptoms such as running nose, headache, coughing, watery eyes, and skin rash. 

If you’ve been struggling with these symptoms , but it tends to improve when you leave the house, there’s a good chance that mold infestation could be what’s impacting your health. 

The best way to tell if it’s mold-related is to spend a few nights away from the house to see how you feel. 

How to prevent mold

Molds are everywhere. They proliferate anywhere moisture exists. The key to preventing mold growth is by controlling moisture. Wet floors and carpets, standing water, condensation in bathrooms and windows are just some of the most common causes. 

Even if the water problem happened a long time ago, mold can still grow in your home if the cause of the problem hasn’t been addressed. They hitchhike into your home as water enters through cracks in foundations and walls. Fix leaks and dry the area immediately since mold usually starts to grow within 24 hours. 

Find a reputable pro if you already have mold in your home. Molds are very difficult to destroy. They can even shed substances that causes coughing, sneezing and asthma attacks. Find an experienced company and address the problem before it gets worse.