The holiday season is supposed to be joyful time of year. It should be about relaxing and sharing good times with family and friends. But the sad truth is that more accidents occur during the hThe holiday season is supposed to be joyful time of year.oliday season than any other time of the year.
Of course, we want to ensure that everyone enjoys a safe and a merry holiday season. Please take time to read these tips and pass them along to your family and friends so no one will fall victim to these common holiday dangers.
According to the U.S. Fire Administration, the incidents of house fires increase by as much as 50% during the holiday season. Many of which are started either by candles or Christmas trees.
Candles are a classic way to add a joyous mood to your home. They may look pretty and smell nice, but they are potential fire hazards and may burn down your house if you’re not careful.
Never leave a candle unattended. This may seem like a no-brainer, but a lot of people seem to forget just how dangerous candles can be. Be sure to extinguish the candle before going to bed or leaving the house. Never burn a candle near books, carpets, beddings, drapes, furniture or anything that can catch fire. Remember, every fire needs to be treated with caution, including candles.
Plumbing problems may not be life-threatening, but they can cause thousands and thousands of dollars on property damage, which may also lead to a costly repair.
With the temperatures dropping below freezing during this time of the year, your pipes are at risk freezing, or worse, bursting. The last thing you want to deal with is a flooded house during the holidays.
To prevent this from happening, we recommend that you disconnect your water hose from your outdoor spigot and bring it inside the house. Also, let cold water drip from the faucet served by exposed pipes. This is especially important when the weather outside is very cold.
Nothing says Christmas quite like the fresh pine scent of a live Christmas tree. However, they can be a possible source of mold exposure. A new study shows that the molds that thrive in its branches can trigger weeks of suffering for homeowners.
Just because you or a member of your family has a mold allergy, doesn’t mean that you should give up on your Christmas tree tradition. What you want to do, however, is to have it on display for a maximum 7 days. You can put the tree up on Christmas Eve and then take it down on New Year’s Day. The longer the tree is in your home, the higher the chances of mold to grow.